The HOLOGATE hygiene and safety standards for Virtual Reality outlined in this article are designed to bring a uniformed process to the location based entertainment industry, and are based on our years of experience operating systems and attractions.
Hygiene and Safety Standards
As you develop your present and future operating plans, please make sure that they are compliant with local and national laws and regulations and are in line with guidance provided by your governmental health agencies.
It is important to note that these standards may be updated, as best practices, governmental guidelines, and guidance from medical professionals evolve.
05/05/2020 – v.1
1. General Information
Maintaining a Properly Sanitized Attraction
Post coronavirus, we must accept the reality that we will be unable to operate as we have before. Cleanliness and disinfection will have to become paramount to customer’s confidence in enjoying our attractions and location-based entertainment.
We must also ensure that standards are maintained by professionals and not left to the customer. Attendant run systems are at an advantage in regards to hygiene as they ensure that the public-accessed components are sanitized at a professional level.
Virtual Reality headsets and accessories have always been the target and topic of hygiene conversations, so it’s more important than ever to make sure that you have proper cleaning procedures in place to ensure that your customers are not only protected but also have full trust in your facility and staff.
2. VR Hygiene Methods
As a standard we suggest two very effective cleaning methods for virtual reality headsets and accessories.
Before applying these methods please ensure that leather VR Covers are properly installed on your VR headsets and that they do not show signs of wear and tear.
All HOLOGATE headsets are equipped with leather VR Covers.
3. Additional Supplies
Added peace of mind for you and your customers
Supply of Sanitizing Wipes
Having an ample supply of sanitizing wipes should be on your checklist and a priority for your location. We have several full pallets of sanitizing wipes in our warehouse ready to be shipped if you need them.
Please understand, that due to export restrictions we are currently only able to offer them in Germany. If you’re interested in wipes outside of Germany please contact your local distributor. We will update as soon as this changes.
Disposable VR Mask Covers
We are offering custom disposable VR mask covers for players that might be hesitant to put a headset directly on their face.
Especially for players wearing heavy makeup these masks will help protect your headsets from heavy residue. Please note that these masks can impair the view and comfort of players and recommend to only use them in special cases. This option does not replace the Standard or Advanced cleaning methods.
4. Perception & visible action
Post coronavirus, it is imperative to instill the confidence that everything is being done for our customer’s health and safety. You will need to make sure that your staff understands that constantly cleaning and disinfecting is now one of their top priorities and it will be everyone’s responsibility to ensure the new standards and guidelines you set for your location are being followed.
Perception is everything and confidence can be gained through actions that are visible.
Please have your staff be diligent and highly visible by your customers when disinfecting your attractions between uses. We also recommend you assign staff to scheduled cleaning shifts that occur daily, throughout every hour on the hour of heavily-trafficked areas. Place customer anti-bacterial dispenser and/or disinfectant wipe stations throughout your facility so that they are visible and conveniently accessed.
Keep in mind to slow down and adjust your throughput expectations for your team and customers to make accommodations for these added cleaning procedures.
Be sure to take photos and video of your team in action and post on your social media channels to let everyone know what you are doing. Word of your company’s care and conscientiousness that you’re ensuring your location is a safe place for friends and families will spread through resharing and word-of-mouth. This customer confidence will build and people will respond by returning to the fun once again!
5. In Summary
Post Coronavirus, we must accept the reality that we will be unable to operate as we have before. Cleanliness and disinfection will have to become paramount to customers’ confidence in enjoying our attractions and location-based entertainment.
- We suggest two very effective cleaning methods for virtual reality headsets and accessories. Our Standard method (visual check, wet clean, dry wipe) and our Advanced method (UVC light system).
- We have formed a partnership with Cleanbox, a leading manufacturer of premium, eco-friendly, UVC – Ultraviolet C, medical-grade cleaning equipment for the decontamination of virtual reality headsets.
- Having an ample supply of sanitizing wipes should be on your checklist and a priority for your location.
- Having a supply of disposal VR mask covers is recommended for players that might be hesitant to put a headset directly on their face. Especially for players wearing heavy makeup. This option should not replace the Standard or Advanced cleaning methods.
- And lastly, you will need to make sure that your staff understands that constantly cleaning and disinfecting, is now one of their top priorities and it will be everyone’s responsibility. Staff should be high visible when disinfecting, staff should be assigned to a daily cleaning schedule, throughout every hour on the hour, place customer anti-bacterial dispenser and/or disinfectant wipe stations throughout your facility so that they are visible and conveniently accessed. Be sure to take photos and video of your team in action to post to social media channels.
- Keep in mind to slow down and adjust your throughput expectations for your team and customers.
For further reopening guidance please take a look at this comprehensive documentation from IAAPA: https://iaapa.org/sites/default/files/2020-05/IAAPA_COVID-19_ReopeningGuidance_rev1_final.pdf
We are here to support you
We look forward to helping you all with your current and future needs, so please don’t hesitate to write us if you need disinfectant wipes, disposable VR covers, or if you are interested in installing Cleanbox for your HOLOGATE.
Please stay safe and healthy.
Your HOLOGATE family